In pursuit of the mission statement of the BRRI, the Division has performed various activities and services related to profitable provision and maintenance of shelter and roads through:
• Application of Research findings in projects;
• Training of Construction Managers and Operatives in appropriate practices in the construction industry.
• Cost-saving Fast-track building Techniques
• Pre-cast Concrete lintels
• Hydro-fill in foundations
• Sand bed in foundations in clayey soils
• Reduction in thickness of oversite concrete
• Re-ordering of Roofing before floor concrete
• Construction Cost indices for Ghana
APPLICATION OF RESEARCH FINDINGS
• Obtaining 650 houses from the original 500 units under the SSNIT Ashongman Housing Project
• Reduced cost and construction time of building projects of numerous District Assemblies by up to 30%
• Increased use of Technical expertise of Building materials developed by the BRRI
• Support to SIF in initial implementation of development projects in Ashanti region
MAJOR BENEFICIARIES OF OUR SERVICES
Various District Assemblies in the Ashanti, Eastern, Brong- Ahafo and Upper East Regions
• Design and supervision of District Assemblies infrastructure Projects which include Staff and Office accommodations; School buildings, Markets, Clinics and Sanitary Facilities.
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION SCIENCE AND SPORTS (MESS)
Construction Supervision of:
• 325 No. 3-unit Classroom with sanitary facilities in 275 distressed areas in the Upper East and Upper West regions under the Primary Education rehabilitation Project (PERP)
• 8 No. assorted school buildings at Effiduase Senior High School under the Rehabilitation and Upgrading of Second Cycle Schools Project (RUSCS)
• 64 No. 6-unit classroom with sanitary facilities in 64 distressed areas in the Ashanti and Brong-Ahafo Regions under the Basic Educational Support Project (BESP) school buildings with sanitary facilities.
• Design and Construction of Timber for School Buildings
- School for the Mentally Challenged at Dzorwulu, Accra
- Accommodation for staff of Bank of Ghana off Ako Adjei Interchange, Accra
MINISTRY OF WATER RESOURCES, WORKS AND HOUSING (MWRWH)
• Construction of 5No. Low-cost houses at Ahinsan, Kumasi
• Construction of 15-mile Feeder Road from Juaben to Kubease in Ejisu Juaben District, off Kumasi-Accra Road
• Bricks factories at Fumesua, Asokwa (near Obuasi) and Ankaful (near Cape Coast)
COUNCIL FOR SCIENTIFIC AND INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH (CSIR)
Design and construction of:
• Permanent offices and laboratories at Fumesua for CSIR-BRRI;
• Administrative Block at Fumesua for CSIR-FORIG
Design and Construction Supervision of Infrastructural Services for:
• CSIR-OPRI (1 Administration, 1 store, 18 bungalows and 1 laboratory);
• CSIR-SARI (Guest House and 6 bungalows at Nyankpala);
• CSIR-ARI (Poultry house and 4 bungalows at Katamanso;
• CSIR-IIR (Laboratory at Otinshi).
• Renovation of CSIR Secretariat Annex (EMBRAPA)
UNIVERSITY OF EDUCATION - WINNEBA
Design and Construction Supervision of:
• 2 No. Lecture Halls at North Campus, Winneba;
• 1 No. Each Lecture Hall, Sports Hall and Hockey pitch at Mampong;
• Resurfacing of some selected roads at Kumasi campus
Design and construction supervision of
- Main Library
- Two-Storey Eight-Unit Masters’ Block of Flats
- Conversion of Workshop into 1,500-Seater Auditorium
- Two-Storey Four-Unit Lecture Block
- Masters’ Common Room Block
- School Congregational grounds
- Campus Roads
Construction Management programmes in cost-saving fast-tracking of projects for delivery efficiency:
• Management Improvement for Managers, Site Agents and Artisans of small scale construction firms;
• Appropriate technologies for enhanced time and cost delivery;
Expertise of the Divisional Staff
The Divisions is endowed with Engineers and Quantity Surveyors well versed in:
• Development Planning, Procurement, Delivery, Management and Maintenance of infrastructural projects and programmes.
• Feasibility studies and Appraisal of Projects, Development and documentation of Tarkwa Mines Relocation Project, Sunyani Polytechnic Projects etc.
• Construction Engineering, Structural Engineering, Quantity Surveying
• Construction Project Management, Construction Supervision and Building Services
ON-GOING DIVISIONAL RESEARCH PROJECTS
Construction Cost Data Analysis and Documentation (Data collected; Evaluation and Computerization – On-going)
• Cost Trends in provision of residential housing in urban areas in Ghana
• Update of Construction Cost Indices for Ghana
• Data for training and re-training of contractors and their agents in cost-caving fast track methods and appropriate technologies
Manuals for achieving construction delivery efficiency in Ghana
• Compendium of inappropriate site practices and operations to promote compliance with specification and thus high quality delivery in Project management at near-zero cost and time overruns;
Construction Division performs various services related to Shelter Construction Management and Practices as well as organizing training programmes for small scale contractors and other building professionals. It has developed the cost-saving house building technique that was used in the 500 housing unit annual delivery in the Ashongman Housing Project at Accra.
The Division provides the following technical services -
1. Appraisal of project drawings/documents and submission of feasible evaluation based on BRRI developed construction techniques.
2. Undertake project drawing and resources availability auditing to achieve scheduled start to completion.
3. Prepare tender documents and assist clients' outfits in adjudicating on tender reports.
4. Ensure increased use of locally available construction materials and management training for artisans on new cost saving technologies that the BRRI has developed.
5. Assist in the project realization management to ensure high quality standards and delivery efficiency of near-zero cost and time over-runs.
6. Organize management improvement training for small-scale contractors to enhance their output.
7. Transfer of the following locally developed construction technologies with potential gains to clients:
o Pre-cast lintel technology - saves 90% in cost and time on lintels
o Hydro-fill floor bed - saves 50% in cost and time on floor.
o Economic sections on frames - save 15% in cost and time on frames
o Pre-cast cassion pier systems - save 30% in cost and time of building frame.
o Bamboo rafter - stabilized earth roof structure and covering - saves 50% in roof cost.
o Composite concrete with timber decking drainage structures - saves 30% in cost and time.
o New septic tank and soak-away - saves 40% in construction cost.
o Improving roof construction technologies in settlement construction.
o The use of BRRI fast-track construction technologies with successful track records on faster house delivery at least cost/time over-run.