Burnt bricks and tiles are produced from clay, a local resource found abundantly in commercial quantities in all districts of Ghana. Burnt Bricks come in different forms; solid, perforated, hollow, pavement, etc.
They are used for housing construction, namely; Classroom blocks, dormitory blocks, office blocks, hostels, libraries, laboratories, teachers’ bungalows, clinics, CHPS cpd, residential buildings, etc.
• Stronger (>5.5MPa) than cement blocks (≤ 2MPa)
• Fire resistant : ≤ 1400 °C
• Provides better indoor condition
• Sound insulator and wear resistant
• No external plastering and painting
• Attractive permanent natural colours
• Various shades of colour
• No incidence of wall flaking
Structures built in bricks do not require maintenance even after 30 years and will still look good.
CSIR-BRRI has a Training Centre and Model Brick factory that train artisans and technicians, and producers in bricklaying and bricks production respectively.